Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Chapter 22


This happened soon after the marketing fare that was conducted by the IMI students. This marketing fare is an annual affair and during that year Sudhi and Arjun were lading the organizing committee. After the fare was over, the OC team were at the ground clearing up the tents and the all the paraphernalia that was set up. There was no mobile phone yet in the market and the OC had one line set up at the control room. As they were waiting for the ground to be cleared, Arjun offered to make a call to Archie in a girl’s voice to have some fun. The whole gang was excited about the idea.

Arjun took the phone and called up IMI hostel.

“Hello “ Arjun said in a girls voice

“Hello” Replied Suman who took the phone at the hostel

“Can I talk to Archie Please” Arjun continued

Suman who was Archie’s class mate was curious when he heard a girl's voice

“Yes. May I know who is talking? Is this Archie’s sister” He was digging

“Oh No. I am his friend My name is Mary. I met him the other day at the marketing fare”

“Oh great. I will get him in a jiffy”

He left the phone near the cradle and ran to the block where Archie lived

“Hay Archie” He shouted from far

“A chic is on the phone. She claims to have met u at the fare”

“Shut up Don’t try to pull a fast one on me” Archie replied

“No man it is for real. I swear. If it is a prank you can kick me”

Archie was excited. He pretended to be nonchalant and walked towards the phone room.

“Be ready for you kick in the bud if it is a prank” Archie shouted to Suman

 “Hello. Archie here. Who is this” Archie’s heart was pounding

“Hello Archie” the girl from the other side replied with a sigh.

“Who are you? How do I know you?” Questions came in rapid fire

“Archie. My name is Mary. I had come to the Marketing Fare yesterday. I met you at the store. I was taken aback by your personality. I stood there for some time looking at you. What I saw impressed me further.” She replied coyly

“Where are you studying?”

“I am studying in Jyoti Niwas. Doing my BA final year”

“What Major?”

“English Literature.”

“Where did you do your schooling”

“Bishop Cotton”

Archie was firing questions to see if this is a prank and Arjun was replying with absolute confidence.

“I have a cousin name Ann in you class. Do you know her?.” Archie asked.

Arjun realised that it was a trick question.

“We have no Anna in FY BA English Literature. There is an Ann Philipose in FY BA Sociology. “ Arjun replied with absolute confidence.

“Looks like this girl is genuine” Archie thought to himself

“May be she is in Sociology” Archie replied

“Where do you stay” Archie asked

“ I stay in Elegance Apartments near  the famous restaurant called Casa Picola”

“It is nice of you to have called” Archie was melting

“Archie can we meet for a cup of coffee sometime soon”

“Yes I have no objection” Archie replied with a serious tone though he was excited beyond description

“How about tomorrow”

“Oh tomorrow I am busy. I need to finish my analysis of all the data we collected during the fare and submit to the client” Archie replied pompously.

“Oh I understand. Then may be the day after.”

“That will be fine. Where do we meet?”

“We could meet at Casa Picola at about five in the evening”

“That will be wonderful. Then I won’t have to bunk any classes”

“How will I recognize you?” Archie asked

“I will recognize you. Look for a good looking girl around” the reply with an enticing giggle

“Oh yes. But there could be many around!!”

“Nobody to compete with me.” Arjun replied with charming laugh “Anyway I will be wearing a yellow skirt.

“Ok that is great”

“Ok see you then.” Arjun said

“Oh why are you in a hurry to keep the phone down” Archie asked

“I just thought that you need to finish all your analysis and I did not want to take up your time today. I am eager that you and I meet soon” Arjun replied

Arjun, Sudhi and Luxi who were together at the phone were finding it difficult to contain their laughter.

“Oh that is ok. I will sit late and finish. Now I have extra motivation” Archie replied romantically

“Naturally”

“Anyway I need to get off the phone now. My mom will come home now and she won’t be amused to see me on the phone. Especially when I have a very happy smile on my face”

“OK. Get going. See you the day after”

Arjun kept the phone. Luxi and Sudhi were rolling on the ground with laughter. Now that the phone was back on the cradle they let loose their restraint and were laughing aloud

He was coughing after talking in a girl’s voice for so long. He also joined their laughter.

“My god the guy has fallen hook line and sinker” Sudhi replied

“Pompous Ass. Look at the way he was acting pricy about meeting her.” Luxi commented.

“Let us not tell this story to Archie or his friends today. Let him come for his date”


“We could all be there” Luxi replied

No comments:

Post a Comment