Friday, June 27, 2014

Chapter 21


It was a Monday morning when Arjun reached IMI. He looked around. The campus was impressive. The large buildings styled buildings looked majestic. The garden in front was well manicured. There were variety of flowers on the bloom; from Lillis to Dahlia to Rose and what not.  Beyond the garden was an orchid with many trees planted in an organized fashion. The whole place was enchanting.

He looked around and he was thrilled to be there. He felt that he has finally achieved his dream. There was also a question deep in his mind. Will he survive here? . He took a deep breath.

He walked over to the administrative block and completed admission formalities at the institute. Then he walked towards hostel block to get his room allotted.

He was not particular about any block or any room as he did not have many of his friends joining IMI in the same batch. He just asked for a room in the top floor as he wanted to look out and enjoy the expanse of the open space behind the hostel blocks.

Then he walked out of the warden's office. He stood there near the garden and took the packet of cigarette from his pocket. He lit one.

“Hi man can I borrow one from you.” A voice came from behind

Arjun turned back. There was this boy with a charming smile

“Hi I am Sudhi” the source of the voice extended his hand

“I am Arjun.” Arjun took the hand that was extended

Arjun took the pack offered to Sudhi.

“I am from Indraprasta Institute of Technology. Graduated two years ago. How about your” Sudhi asked

“I am from Tridevpur. Studied in local Engineering School. Then worked in Tridevpur Auto.”

“Which is your room? I am in E 28”

“I am in E 27. So we are neighbours”

“That is great. Do you know that there is a party tonight for the freshers?”

“I heard about it. Hope it is going to be fun” Arjun replied

“There will be lots of booze and lots of dancing. But I am not much into dancing.”

“Oh I just don’t know how to dance at all” Arjun replied frankly

“Let us go to the room and dump our stuff. I need to crash for a while. Had a lousy train journey”

Arjun climbed up the stairs to the third floor. He opened his room. The room was furnished sparingly but sufficiently. It had a nice bed on one side, a table, a chair and a cupboard.  He opened the cupboard and arranged all his clothes inside the cupboard. He walked over to the window and looked out. He liked what he saw.Near the window was the garden and beyond that bushes; pristine green expanse that he found quite refreshing. The garden near the window had flowers with vibrant colours. The terrain ahead was open and un-inhabited up till his eyes could reach. 

He opened the window. There breeze that hit his face was mildly chilling. He shivered for a moment. But he liked it. He stood there staring out for a long time.

It was time to go and have a lunch. He wondered whether he should ask Sudhi if he wanted to join. But decided against. Sudhi had remarked that he wanted to rest.

He walked over to the dining hall. It was about five minutes of walk. He looked around. The granite structure of the hostel had a certain charm about it. He reached the dining room.

“Oh we have to stand in a queue. It is self-service” He observed

He stood in the queue. A girl joined just behind him. She looked like she was from a conservative family background from the way she was attired and groomed.

“Hi I am Arjun” Arjun introduced himself.

“Oh Hi I am Chitra. Nice to meet you.

“Are you a fresher” Arjun asked

“Yes I am” She replied with a smile

“Oh she has a pretty pleasing smile” Arjun thought to himself.

“I am a fresher too. So we may be in the same class.”

“Where did you study before?”

I am from Sasimangalam a city around one hour by flight from here. I studied in a local college called Stella Mary’s” She replied

“I am from Tridevpur. I finished engineering couple of years and worked two years.”

They reached the counter.

Arjun took a plate and offered to her.

“Oh no. you have it.” Chitra protested.

“I am meeting you for the first time. So this gesture is to show that we are friends. Plus in the place where I come from chivalry is not dead yet” Arjun replied with a naughty smile.

“Thanks.”

“Are you a vegetarian? “ Arjun asked

“Yes I am” She replied

“I eat everything that moves” Arjun replied laughingly

“Will it be OK if I share your table” He asked as served the chicken to his plate

“Oh please join me. I have no objection to what the other person is eating I am not that conservative.” She replied

They walked over to the table. They had a pleasant chat and got a chance to know each other better.

“Chitra it is good to get to know you.” Arjun told as they both finished washing their hands.

“Same here. Hope to see you again for the party in the evening”

Arjun walked back to his room. Jumped on to the bed to have a good sleep before the party. He knew that the party is going to go on till early morning. He did not want to miss any fun.
***

“ Hi Arjun. You look all fresh. Did you have a nice sleep?” Sudhi asked as Arjun walked into the auditorium in the evening for the party

“I slept like a log. Looks like you also had good sleep. Come on it is time for a drink.”

“What is your poison?”

“I prefer Rum and Coke”

“I am going to have a whisky” Sudhi replied

Arjun sat at a corner nursing his drink. Sudhi walked over with drinks in his hands. Being a charmer, he drifted along where all the pretty girls were.

In a few moments he was at the dance floor dancing away to glory. Arjun looked around and saw Sudhi dancing away to glory.

After about half an hour, Sudhi took a break and walked to where Arjun was sitting.

“Come on Arjun have some fun”

“I thought you were not into dancing?”

“Oh my conscience keeper! How could I say no to pretty women?” Sudhi retorted with a charming smile.

Sudhi pulled a chair next to Arjun. They talked for quite some time. They found that there was something that was special and bonded them together. All through their course they lived in the neighbouring rooms

They often studied together. Partied together went for picnics in their bike. Of course with Sudhi the picnics had to have his whole gang from Indrapuram and their girlfriends.

They also enjoyed pulling a few pranks on their friends. One of their pranks on their classmate Archie became part of folklore of the institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment