Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Chapter 17


“You guys had quite a lot of fun. When did you study?” Uncle asked

“Oh as the exams approached we huddled up.” Chandy replied “In spite of all these adventures Arjun was one of the toppers in class in the first couple of semesters. After that with his involvement in a variety of activities his rank came down. He was active in Jaycee Club, student union and in youth wing of his temple trust.  However when he graduated overall he maintained his distinction.”

“Chandy also is a distinction student uncle. Now he is ready take over the IT division of our company” Arjun commented.

“How come after doing very well in the first two semesters you dropped down? Uncle asked

“I will tell you what happened. In the first couple of semesters one of my classmates called Sreekrishnan used to land up at my place during study leave for combined study. He was sort of slow and weak in studies. It was a real struggle to make him understand anything. I used to get frustrated. But I did not want to say no. What I did not realize was that when I tried to get something into his head, my concepts were getting clearer.”

“During the third semester onwards I avoided him because it was a strain. I went on with my normal lazy reading after all my other activities. My marks dropped too. By the time I reached final year, I realized what was happening. I magnanimously offered Sreekrishnan to join me for combined studies. Can you believe, like magic my scores leapfrogged”

“That is interesting. When you were trying to help you friend understand, the clarity of your understanding improved.  No wonder some great men observed that ‘the riches of knowledge multiplies as you share’” Uncle responded.

“What are your future plans? Are you guys going to get married and settle down?” Uncle asked

“I plan to get married soon. Not that I plan to settle down in this company or this city. I am going to get married and relax for some time” Chandy responded.

“What about you Arjun?” Uncle asked

“He is trying to get into IMI” Chandy replied

“That is a good idea” Uncle replied “But I thought you were trying to go to America with the help of you sister who recently went to US on a job”

“I don’t want to trouble her. Moreover I prefer to build my career here in Indraprastha. I think I would rather live in my home country. But with just a degree in Engineering there is a limit on how much I can progress in India” Arjun replied.

“That is why I am trying to get into IMI. I know it is not an easy task with my background. I studied in an average vernacular school in a small town. I never heard of IMI till last year.  I appeared for the entrance exam last year and it was a disaster. The competition is from students who graduate from the best schools in Indraprastha, who also have the privilege of having the best coaching classes. But I have decided to give a try again. But I am not sure if I can make it.” Arjun was pensive

“I am sure you can make it Arjun” Uncle was encouraging Arjun

“How about refill? You don’t have to wait for me. You guys are young. Feel free to help yourself with as much as you can drink. We will ask Aunty to serve some cashew nuts and the fried prawns. As tomorrow is a holiday you can sleep late.” Uncle was in a good mood to listen to stories and to tell stories.

Arjun got up and moved to the bar. He fixed another large one for him,

“Arjun there is a big jar of salted cashews there. Just bring that here. Aunty will bring the prawns later” Uncle shouted.

“By the way last week I met up with Mrs Chandrasekhar at a wedding. I met her after a long time. She told me that she knows you.” Uncle told Arjun.

“Is it Mrs Chandrasekhar whose husband died in a mysterious circumstance about six years ago?” Arjun asked

“Yes that is the one.” Uncle replied

“How do you know them Uncle” Arjun asked

“Mr Chandrasekhar and I were classmates in school. He went onto become a renowned doctor and I after qualifying as a lawyer took up a job in Kuwait. But we have kept in touch” Uncle replied

“She has a daughter called Ramya who has now completed graduation. Mrs Chandrasekhar was asking me if I knew any suitable boys. I suggested your name. She said Ramya and she know you and Ramya likes you a lot. She asked me to check with you”

“Oh Uncle, I have treated Ramya like my own little sister. I cannot see her as my wife.” Arjun replied

“But tell me how do they know you? You were not neighbours. Were you?” Uncle asked.

“Oh it is a long story” Arjun replied.

“Arjun has lots of stories. Was she one of your girl friends?” Chandy asked mischievously

“Oh I did not know Arjun has a coloured life style” Uncle chipped in

“Uncle you don’t know what a charmer Arjun is.” Chandy was having fun at the expense of Arjun

“Nothing like that uncle. Chandy loves to malign my name!” Arjun protested and grimaced at Arjun

“Anyway tell us the story. Your stories are interesting” Uncle egged on.

“OK. I shall tell the story. Long ago when we were in high school, I used to go to the swimming pool regularly. We had a gang there who used to have lots of fun. Ramya and her younger brother Rajesh also used come for swimming. We became sort of friends there.”
“So it was swimming pool puppy love” Chandy commented

“Don’t jump to conclusions”  Arjun continued

“There was also a senior crowd who were regulars. One was an IAS officer called Mr Rajendra Prasad and the other was a senior Police officer called Mr Jerald D’Souza and other two were also senior government servants. I don’t remember their names. We called all of then uncle.  We used to chat up with them occasionally.”

“D’Souza was also the president of boxing association. He was a national level boxer in his younger days and he kept himself as fighting fit. He was around six foot tall and had an impressive physique like a Greek God. He was also very rich. He used to come in different cars on different days”

“But he had a reputation of a homosexual and a paedophile. We kids used to laugh about this. But he never tried any stunts with us. In fact has been very decent with us. He even gave me the introductory lessons in diving. He also gave tips on swimming.”

“I used to come to the pool in a bicycle. One day I came walking. After the swim I was walking back home late in the evening. D’Souza uncle came and stopped the car.”

“Arjun hop in, I am coming to your side. I shall give you a drop” D’Souza offered.

“I was worried a bit. But I felt that being such a senior person, he will be careful with me.” Arjun continued

“Once I entered the car and he started driving he came out directly and abruptly with his intention”

“Arjun let us go for a drive. We will go to the beach and have some fun.” D’Souza suggested.

“I looked at his face and realized that he was completely in a mad trance with his intention. I realised that I should deal carefully. If I made him defensive he could turn violent. My life could be in danger. Being a senior police officer he could cover up beautifully”

“My God I can’t believe that such things could happen or people of such position will stoop to this level” Fernando Uncle remarked

“That is what I thought. But I was now in deep shit and I had to come up with a means to get out unscathed”


“So you decided that when rape is inevitable lie down and enjoy” Chandy remarked with an impish grin

No comments:

Post a Comment